Monday, March 24, 2008

What is Easter?






Okay, so I really love funny e-mails. They can seriously put a smile on my face and a giggle in my heart for the whole day. I even love blond jokes, and I don't take offense at them- really. I got one about a week ago that (after I stopped laughing) made me think a bit. Three blonds approach St. Peter at the pearly gates and he asks them a question- "What is Easter?" The first blond replies, "It's the holiday in November where we eat turkey." St. Peter shakes his head, and turns to the second blond. She says, "It's the holiday in December where that guy in the red suit comes down your chimney and leaves you presents." St. Peter sighs and turns to the third blond who says, "Easter is the Christian holiday that coincides with the Jewish Passover. We remember that Christ was crucified for the sins of all mankind and was buried in a tomb." St. Peter smiles and nods. Looking proud of herself, she continues "Every year the stone is rolled away from the tomb, and if He comes out and sees His shadow, there are six more weeks of winter"...
Now let's put those giggles on hold for a minute. Do we really know why we celebrate these holidays? Yes, I think we do, but do we really care? I'm not so sure sometimes. We make sure to tell our children what they're really all about, but do we tell them enough? Don't get me wrong. I love the fun aspect of holidays, even the Easter Bunny. I'm not exactly sure where he came from or how finding hidden colored eggs reminds us of Christ's sacrifice, but I'll take it. Hey- I enjoy hunting eggs as much as my kids do. My in-laws hide eggs with adult prizes ($) out on the farm, and if you want to cash in, you had better be prepared to hike ditch banks, crawl through thorny bushes, wade in piles of junk, climb trees, and find elusive hiding spots amongst mounds of equipment, tires, tools, etc. I kind of had to laugh at myself this year. My baby is only nine months old, and I had her out hunting eggs with the kids. I'd let her pick up an egg on the grass, and she'd shake it in delight. Then I'd promptly take it away and put it in her basket, which I even tried to make her hold. She'd get mad, so we'd race to pick up another one and start the process all over. All she wanted was ONE egg. All she cared about was ONE egg. It's funny how we push the commercial on them before they can even remotely understand what's going on. If I had held up pictures of Jesus all day, that might have been a better lesson for her, all my other kids, and especially me. But it sure was cute watching all my kids. I love the joy they get out of such simple things. I especially love seeing them all done up in their Easter best on Sunday. It's one of two times each year that I actually make sure their socks match and their clothes are ironed. Zane's too. I think next year I'm going to put little pictures of Christ in some of the eggs I hide to try to bring more of that Sunday spirit into the rest of the holiday, and help my kids remember that Easter is about much more than just candy-filled baskets and treat-filled eggs. Though I do hope my in-laws keep filling their eggs with those wonderful green big-kid treats!

4 comments:

The Cook Fam said...

I love the picture of your kids on the rocks. Such a cute family. I had the same thoughts about Easter. I always tell myself I will do better next year at focusing on the true meanings behind the holidays. Love your blog. You make me laugh.

Melissa O said...

I hear you sista!!! It's not like you have to take all of it away, but really the Easter Bunny I do not get.
Love ya Bri

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

I couldn't agree more. Who came up with the idea of an Easter BUNNY. Bunny..eggs..it doesn't even fit. It drives Andrew crazy. We actually decided to make ours a First Day of Spring party so we could focus on the real Easter on Easter Sunday. Our kids are young still, but hopefully it will help as they get older. Anyway, it looks like your monkeys had fun, and as always, they look adorable.

Julie said...

You have some of the most beautiful kids I have ever seen and I loved looking at their pics! And man, I want my in-laws to have a "big kid" Easter egg hunt! That sounds awesome! I agree with you about Easter. I keep wondering where the Bunny thing came from!