Monday, April 7, 2008

Tagged...


Alright, so Alison tagged me. I know you've all been waiting for this moment so you could hear all of my deepest, darkest secrets that should probably remain in the depths of my "closet," but it's really not that great. I mean, I've only killed a man once (my first husband), and it was by accident, so no worries about Zane...
just kidding. Anyways, I've seen two types of tagging, so I'll combine the two.

Ten Years Ago...
I had been married for just a year and a half, and I was expecting my first baby (a girl) in about a month. I was still adjusting to married life, and we were then living on the farm next door to my inlaws. It was a hundred year old cement house with no means of heating or cooling, so because of the cement, in the winter the house acted like an ice box, and in the summer, an oven (like the one at Brick Oven). One of our favorite things to do was to set out mouse traps at night before bed and see if we could stay awake long enough to hear them all snap. Let me just tell you, living in those conditions teaches you to be grateful for what you have, and to appreciate those poor kids who are serving missions in South American countries.

If I were suddenly a billionaire...
The first thing I would do would be to take a trip to Italy. My great grandpa is from there, and I've always had a burning desire to go visit where some of my ancestors are from, especially because I feel my Italian roots more than the others. I'm just like my grandpa Silotti, and besides- the only food I am capable of cooking is Italian. Next I would go to Hawaii. I know there are other tropical places, but I've always wanted to see Pearl Harbor (my grandpa was also a Marine). Then I'd take my entire family- both sides- on a Disney cruise. Upon returning home, I'd buy a Cobalt boat and a Lincoln Navigator to pull it with for myself, and a Ford F250, a couple of 4-wheelers, and a trailer for my husband. Then I'd buy a restored Shelby mustang racecar for Wyatt and a banana colored convertible beetle for Alivia. Jack would get a Gator, and Maycie would get a go-kart. Yes, I know they can't drive yet, but currently, that's what they want. The last thing I'd do is to pay off my mortgage, the mortgages of my family, invest for our retirement, and donate the rest to charity.

Things on my To Do list today...
Well, since I'm writing this, nothing. Just kidding, I should be doing the 10 loads of laundry that are piled in my laundry room, mopping the kitchen floor, and cleaning the bathrooms. But anything that I can do to keep from doing those chores, I'll do (hence this post).

3 Bad Habits...
I collect junk. Oprah would call me a pack-rat. I have a really hard time throwing things away, so my mother has to come to my house a couple of times each year to help me de-clutter. Next, I talk a lot. Sometimes when I should just shut up, and especially when we're watching videos. I love to analyze them, and I rewind a lot. Last (well, not last, but this is just supposed to be three things) I offer up my professional advice whenever I feel it's warranted. As Zane would say, "Just ask Doctor Bri." Maybe I should write an advice column for the Spanish Fork Press.

3 Places I've lived...
San Jose, California and Tucson, Arizona, both when I was little. I grew up mostly in Layton, Utah, and have lived the past 11 1/2 years since I got married in Spanish Fork (and Lake Shore). We'll be here forever. Until I'm 50 and lose what little memory I have to alzehimer's, then Zane will put me in a home and maybe I'll think it's somewhere exotic.

5 Jobs I've had...
I worked at Dairy Queen when I was 16 for a year, then I taught piano lessons until I graduated high school. Next, I worked at Eagle Hardware (now Lowes) for a year, then at Get-Away Today travel agency in Ogden for a year. Last, I worked as a teller for Central Bank here in Spanish Fork for about 2 to 2 1/2 years when I was first married. Since then, I've been a Mom and have loved every minute of it. I know it doesn't ask for it, but I'll also say, someday I want to be a nurse and help deliver babies. I just know that someday I'm supposed to help take care of those brand new moms, because being a mom is the greatest job we could ever have, and I want to help them get a good start.

Last, and most certainly least, 7 more things you didn't already know about me...
1. I love to have my hair done by my kids. It's the most relaxing thing to me, and I'd take an hour of that over a swedish massage anyday (though if I'd ever had one of those I might not say that).
2. I love to water ski. When I'm out skiing, I daydream that I'm on a world champion ski team trying to win first place. But I'm not really that good.
3. My favorite thing to eat for lunch (and sometimes dinner) is macaroni and cheese. I've loved it ever since I was little, so I secretly do a little dance every time my kids want me to make it for them. My favorite thing to eat for dinner is Gnochis. My grandma taught me how to make them. It's an Italian dish of dumplings made out of potatoes, covered in a pork marinara sauce. Delicious!
4. My favorite all-time book is Gone With The Wind, probably because I see a little of myself in Scarlett OHara, and in how she finally grows up. It's a good lesson of only wanting something because you can't have it, and not knowing what you've got until it's gone. I mostly prefer to read young adult literature now, like Harry Potter and Eragon, and I can't read books with no story (like self-help books, though I probably need them).
5. I have a secret crush on Nicholas Cage. Some of my favorite movies are Gone in 60 Seconds and National Treasure. It's okay to say this because Zane has a secret crush on Jessica Alba. He says she will be his second wife in heaven, and I say that's fine as long as she's okay with doing all the laundry and cleaning. I also never really thought Tom Cruise was that cute. Sorry, Katie Holmes, if you're reading this.
6. My favorite candy is sour patch kids. I've loved them since I was little, and though my current likes go in phases, I always come back to them. Surprisingly, I'm not a chocolate lover, though I do like it in small doses. I love both Coca Cola and Pepsi, but if I had to choose, I'd take a Pepsi first, anyday.
7. I have OCD. Though never officially diagnosed, I know I have it. Now I don't have to flip lights on and off a certain number of times or count my steps, but I do have other oddities. I have to eat things like cookies and candy in twos, and I like to count my sour patch kids (and other treats) to make sure there is an even number. I eat flavored things in the same order, from least liked to best liked: red, green, yellow, then orange. Besides food, I have to have my light switches all going the same way, and towels have to be hung just right. I check all locks every night, even those that I know weren't touched, and I line things up in straight piles. I do everything in the same order, every day, including getting dressed, hair, make-up, the routes I drive, etc. The list goes on, but I'll stop here. The only funny thing is I'm not a neat freak. I guess even us nuts have to give a little or we'd eventually crack.

Well, I guess I've stayed true to form- this was a super long post, and I "talked" way too much (see 3 Bad Habits, above). Anyways, hope you enjoyed the insights into my mind, and sorry there weren't more interesting skeletons to air out! So in true tagging form, I'll tag Julie G. next, because I'd love to get to know her a little better!

4 comments:

Melissa O said...

Katie Holmes just called me and was very offended by your post.

The Cook Fam said...

You are hilarious! I learned a lot about you. I am with you on the Tom Cruise thing. And let me know when you go to nursing school. I toss that idea around from time to time. And then I remember finals and I start to hyperventilate.

Hales Family said...

Nicolas cage? he is balding! I hope I can be invited on the Disney cruise. Very intersting stuff.

Julie said...

Drat! I was having so much fun reading your post until the end and my name came up! But I do love reading people's "tags" because you learn so much more. And I had to laugh at your OCD comments. I am just the opposite, I can't stand having routines. I will even go out of my way to drive a different way home sometimes, just because I get too bored with going the same way everytime!