Monday, May 26, 2008

WYATT is for WaY Awesome Totally Terrific

My oldest son Wyatt is such an awesome kid. I've felt a little guilty lately because he hasn't been the subject of a post yet, but it's not because he's less loved or anything like that (though some days he does make me want to tear my hair out). Wyatt's favorite thing, besides teasing his siblings, is sports. All sports. When he's not talking about sports, he's drawing pictures about them. They usually feature him in a uniform bearing the BYU logo, versus one of his siblings or buddies in a uniform bearing the UofU logo. I try to tell him that's backwards, but it seems his father has brainwashed him into believing otherwise. About every other day or so he's asking if I can sign him up for football, basketball, karate, wrestling, etc. I told him he can't wrestle until they get rid of those gross one-piece spandex uniform things that show all the- well, you know. Anyways, Wyatt was super excited when baseball season came around. He is on the Indians team with his best buddy Hunter, which might not be so fun for the coaches, because those two together are goof-offs. It's a good thing the coaches are Hunter's dad and Wyatt's dad!! The first game of the season was Wednesday. Wyatt was all ready for the game two hours early, and could hardly wait for Zane to get home from work. He had on new baseball pants and cleats, and was sporting a brand new lefty mitt that is genuine leather. Zane said he'd be able to catch way better with that than with his fake leather mitt from last year, though I think that's just a dad talking that would like to relive his childhood through his kid. During the game, Wyatt was all business. He was lookin' alive and ready for anything out on the field, and assumed the "ready" pose at all times. The funniest part of the game was when Wyatt got a hit and started running to first base, then abruptly stopped halfway there. He tore off his batting helmet and threw it back to home plate, and barely made it to the base before the ball got there. I'm not sure why he did it; maybe it stunk from all the little boy sweat that had been accumulating in it. Over all, he did a great job and played well, and I was very proud of him. It's looking like it'll be a great season, and then we'll be back to begging for football, basketball, karate, etc. I'm sure Wyatt will go pro in one of them someday, and if not, maybe he'll make it big drawing sports cartoons for the New York Times. Either way, he sure is one way awesome totally terrific kid!



6 comments:

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

Oh Wyatt- I will always have the most special little place in my heart for that little boy. I think he was sent to get me ready for having little boys of my own. What a good little kid and a great brother.

S. said...

Go Wyatt! What a little jock! I luv it! Such a fun little man and so super friendly. You have yourself some great kiddos Bri!

Melissa O said...

He is so cute. He looks like a natural

The Cook Fam said...

Look at that form. He looks like he has been playing for years. I love watching kids do something they love.

Kim Felt said...

Those pictures brougt tears to brandon's eyes. He is so proud. He can't wait for the day he can watch baseball instead of dance recitals. Thanks for lifting that curse. :)

Tricia said...

So fun. I love watching kids play sports. He is a cutie. He was one of my favorites in primary. He is just always so happy and willing to do anything!