Monday, December 15, 2008

Dumb Mom

You know you're in the running for the Mother of the Year award when your one and a half year old puts herself to bed. I'm sitting here at the computer wondering why I can't hear Maycie playing anymore, and I look at the clock and think, "Oh my heck! How did it get to be so late so fast? Where did that kid go?" I thought I told her a few minutes ago to go get me her blankie and I'd rock her, but I'm now realizing that it's been a little longer than I thought (okay, quite a bit longer). I stop tapping the computer keys for a minute to listen, and I think that I can hear breathing coming from somewhere. I look around but can't see her anywhere, so I think I must be imagining it. I start tapping away again, but stop when I think I hear a sigh. This time I actually stand up to go search for my mischievous little Maycie and my foot touches something soft. I look down under my feet and see the sweetest little angel (aren't they all angels when they're sleeping?) curled up on her blankie under the computer desk, fast asleep. Yes, I have no idea how she got there. Yes, I feel like a big fat louse for neglecting her. Yes, I must be stupid or something for admitting this when everyone already thinks I'm a few tacos shy of a combo. But what the heck- it's just too cute and I can't resist posting the pics, even if they could be viewed as incriminating evidence. So you better hurry up and cast your ballots now folks- I'm closing in fast on the lead for that award.

5 comments:

Melissa O said...

Adorable. She is so cute.

The Beardall's said...

That is so cute. My baby has done this before, so you are not alone in the "Bad Mom" area.

Loni said...

It is amazing how the time flys when you sit down at the computer! We have all had those I feel like a craipy mom moments. Good thing our kids love us!

Kim Felt said...

That's it, Please bring her down to me with the adoption papers. If you do it willingly, I wont involve the police! :) (okay, I just really want her.) I cant say I haven't done anything similar before.

Chan said...

Ha ha ha!!! We have all been there. I think the mother of the year award is pretty subjective, thank goodness!